Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Era of Robots



Shot taken from the film I, Robot, based on Carl Sagan's homonymous bestseller.

Year 3090. In the society we live, technology ranges over a wide variety of fields. From Agriculture to Medicine, it remains present in our everyday life. Unless this situation changes, we can spend days without meeting anybody, just our robots! But are these steel creations worthy of our confidence?
On a normal day, once I get up, my butler-robot brings my breakfast to bed. Later, it does the ironing and cleans the house. If I ask it to do the shopping, the only effort is to dictate the shopping list that it will memorise automatically. Then I chatter with my talkative robot, due to the fact that I don't really have anything else to do, since my teleworker-robot does my job. Life is really calm if you have one at home!
Stress and heart attacks became diseases of the past ages ago. Reluctance arises when our health is on their hands, though. Can they be as secure as human beings? Well, after all, we cannot feel we are in danger unless we read a "Gosh, this is not going on as it should" expression on the dentist-robot's face.
On the other hand, we need human contact to develop social and communicative skills. Our ancestors had it easier. They used to deal with people almost for everything, everywhere. That is the reason we should wonder whether it used to be a better life or not. Perhaps they may have aspired to live a deadly dull life rather than being so busy. Nevertheless, we are in the opposite extreme, and we can complain if we feel like it. What is sure is that there is no accounting for tastes!

No comments: